Reexamining LGBT Healthcare
Reexamining LGBT Healthcare, our training program for LGBT cultural competence in healthcare, is available to purchase. Designed to be out-of-the-box ready, you can buy the materials for use in your facility and/or hire one of our experienced trainers to come to your site. You can purchase the complete package or select components that fit your facility's needs. Designed originally for training all 38,000 employees of the New York City Health and Hospital Corporation (the largest municipal hospital system in the country), it will be customized for use in your facility, university or social service organization.
The complete package contains:
- A 10-minute video
- PowerPoint slides for both a short and long presentation
- Handouts for participants
For pricing information about obtaining our cultural competence training, download the Reexamining LGBT Healthcare price sheet.
What others have said about our trainings
"Thanks so much for the presentation. The feedback from the participants was wonderful- you were very informative, helpful, accepting, open to questions and concerns, etc., etc. Of course, everyone wants you to come back. So I am hoping we can figure out a time for you to do a follow-up with our staff."
"Her presentation was so essential to our caring TOTALLY for whoever calls or walks through our doors in need of professional care and compassion. We will be a better agency for this direction given by Liz. Well done!!!"
View an excerpt
View an excerpt from video, "To Treat Me, You Have To Know How I Am", part of Reexamining Healthcare, our comprehensive LGBT cultural competence curriculum.
What the Federal Government is saying about LGBT cultural competence
In order to decrease health disparities, the federal government and its agencies are increasingly calling on health care facilities to offer cultural competence training to all levels of providers. We predict that LGBT cultural competence training will become mandatory within the next 2 years. Be prepared now. Our training materials, including our video and PowerPoint slides can be customized for your facility.
- On 4/1/11, Secretary Kathleen Sebelius of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services issued recommendations for improving LGBT health, stressing the importance of cultural competence training.
- On 3/31/11, The Institute of Medicine released a groundbreaking report on LGBT health, recommending cultural competence training as a means to reduce LGBT health disparities. Read The Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People: Building a foundation for a Better Understanding.
- Healthy People 2020, the federal roadmap for improving the nation's health over the next decade, specifically mentions the importance of cultural competence training in its section on LGBT health. Click here for Healthy People 2020's section on LGBT health.
- Read the Joint Commission's recommendations
- Read the recommendations of the Institute for Diversity in Health Management (an affiliate of the AHA).
- Learn about the National Standards on Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) put out by the Federal Office of Minority Health (part of HHS).
- Read about the criteria used by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA) to rate how U.S. healthcare facilities treat their LGBT patients and employees in the Healthcare Equality Index 2010.
Some places we have offered trainings
- Annual Conference for Young Women Affected by Breast Cancer
- National LGBTI Health Summit
- Gilda's Club
- The LGBT Community Center
- NYU Cancer Institute
- The Young Survival Network
- Sirius Radio
- University of North Carolina, NC
- Center for Disease Control (CDC)
- LGBT Senior Health Fair
- Wellness Community
Request More InformationContact the National LGBT Cancer Network by clicking here.
Add your name to our mailing list: